Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Screeching Weasel - First World Manifesto.



Okay, so it just so happens that the first review happens to be of quite possibly my favorite band of all time.  Good timing, I guess.  It also just so happens that this album might be extremely relevant to the already loyal, dedicated and mindless followers of this blog.  Ben Weasel is a sort of king of controversy in the punk scene.  He's not been shy over the past few years of his conservative politics.  In 2008, he backed the Republicans in the election.  Now while I hate the Republican party, I have respect for Ben.  He has been unapologetic about his political views and has gotten a lot of shit for it.  Good for him.

But on to the album.  This is Screeching Weasel's first full length release in over 10 years.  During their hayday, they were the biggest pop punk band in the underground scene, along with greats like the Queers and MTX (whose lead singers both make appearances on the album).  How's Weasel going to fair after a decade away?

The first track gives us great hope.  Through the album, this stands out to me as the most like 90's Weasel.  There's no slow intro to this mother.  The song starts off as fast as you'll hear them get, with Ben's nasally voice cuing in almost instantly.  The song grabs your nutsack and exclaims "Pay attention, this shit is fast and it ain't lasting long.".  Hey, Ben stole my line in the bedroom...In true Weasel form, this song goes on the attack against what Ben sees as the more regrettable.aspects of punk rock in the 2010's.

Frankengirl slows down the pace, with a catchy and even more poppy beat in Frankengirl.  This song is definitely one of the highlights.  Dr. Frank of Mr. T Experience fame even joins in for a verse.  What could be more perfect on a pop punk album than a catchy song about a girl, with two of the greats on vocals?

Beginningless Vacation has a totally original message that Weasel has never tackled: being trapped in a dull life with no escape...Okay, it's pretty original but it's done great.  We all know Ben's dream is to never have to work ever again, after all.  It continues the pop punk beat of Frankengirl...

And look out, here comes the nasally vox in full force.  Love, as I might, Ben's voice, he comes at ya way outta left field with this one.  I think this song may very well have featured guest vocals from Kyle of South Park...Not that Kyle, Kyle's cousin Kyle...Reference lost? That's okay. This song is definitely different, but every Weasel album needs a ballad.  Credits to Danny Vapid on this one, I bet.

I know at this point you  seem to find yourself in a song-by-song review of this album, but that's not the case.  I just think these songs happen to be top-notch.  At this point in the album, I was pretty goddamn happy.  In fact, I don't get unhappy throughout, but "Totem Pole" to around "All Around Town" seem like songs.  They don't just stand out and say anything to me.  A few quick points about some of these songs::
Totem Pole has great lyrics, but a beat that is eerily similar to a song I can't put my finger on right now.
Creepy Crawl...This is totally a Riverdales song.  That's not a bad thing, but it feels kind of out of place.
"All Over Town" is another song that feels distinctively Weasel to me.  It's got some more interesting parts to it, whereas the Riverdales-derived stuff is just pure, unashamed Ramones-Core.  Ben's vocals shine in this one, for me.  It's got that perfect nasal-to-singing ratio.

"Come And See The Violence Inherent In The System".  If this song were blank for 40 minutes, I'd give it at least a couple stars for referencing Monty Python.  However, it's not blank and returns to the earliest song's really sped up, aggressive beat.   It's here our loyal viewership should pay attention, as this song could easily be confused with an Anti-Flag song...This seems to be satire of the politics that pervade a lot of punk and a lot of our society in general.  It hyperbolically describes what's "wrong" with America, from fat NASCAR fans to evil businessmen.  The lower class is proclaimed to be the only thing not totally taking this country down the drain.  I knew Ben would take on politics at some point in this album.  I'm glad he did it in such a fun, goofy way.

Finally, "Little Big Guy" is officially the "You're So Vain" of punk  Who's he talking about?  Ben hates everyone, after all.  I hope it's me...

Altogether, this is a solid edition to a solid discography.  I feel the middle's got a lot of filler, but the filler's still good fun.  In the end, that's what Weasel is about.  Turn off the hardcore, put a smile on your face and listen to the new fun, fast and punk as fuck Screeching Weasel album  "First World Manifesto".  It's streaming on Myspace  (But seriously folks, fuck that.  I hate that site) and available for pre-order at Fat Wreck.

Thanks for joining me for my first inane, drug-induced rant about the music I love.  Keep it punk.

No comments:

Post a Comment